Imagine this horror story: You arrive home from dinner and your kid runs into the living room to grab their favorite toy. Suddenly you hear them ask, “Why are there mushrooms growing under the carpet?” Your blood chills as you realize something is seriously wrong–and that something is very likely a slab leak that went unnoticed.
The term “slab leak” sounds spooky to most people and it should. These leaks are talked about similarly to monster stories because they can easily create a large amount of expensive damage if they are unaddressed for too long.
If you believe you have a slab leak, or any leak for that matter, your best bet it to reach out to a professional about checking and repairing your plumbing in La Puente, CA. In the interim, we would still suggest you learn about what to look for to identify a slab leak early, before it becomes a bigger problem.
What is a Slab Leak?
Slab leaks refer to leaks that occur in water lines under the concrete foundation of a home. The term for this sort of leak is based on the fact that most homes in California are built on slabs of concrete with the residence’s copper pipes for the homes plumbing running beneath.
These leaks can occur on the pressure side of the foundation, which normally makes them easy to find, or on the drainage side, making them harder to identify. In either case, a slab leak can cause serious damage to the home and can even compromise the home’s foundation if they aren’t fixed.
There are several signs that you can watch for to identify a slab leak. If you notice one or more of these indicators, we urge you to call a plumbing professional as soon as you can!
Signs of a Slab Leak
The good news is that if you catch a slab leak early, the damage that you are dealing with should be minimized.
- One of the easiest signs to identify that could indicate a slab leak is an unexplained increase in your water bill. If you have ruled out an error in the billing and made sure that no one is taking two-hour long showers, you may want to consider checking for a leak.
- Have you noticed that you are hearing running water when no appliances that produce water are in use? This is a sure sign that you have a leak on your hands.
- If you have been encountering the eerie sight and/or smell of mold or mildew, it is likely the result of water escaping a leak in your pipes.
- Have your appliances been oddly lack luster in the amount of water pressure they’re providing? If you have a slab leak, this issue can find its cause in the amount of water escaping from a leaky pipe.
- Last but not least we reference the story from up above. Strangely wet carpet or warped wood flooring indicate water that is pooling somewhere that it shouldn’t an affecting your home’s base. And yes, if you wait long enough, you really might encounter mushrooms!
Eek, I Might Have a Leak!
Whether you have identified a slab leak or not, the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your pipes from this problem is to do regular maintenance to check for potential fixes. Trust us, you want to find a leaky pipe long before it has time to create a puddle under your carpet.
Contact Sweetwater Plumbing to schedule plumbing services for your home. We don’t charge by the hour, We charge by the job!